Unique & Unusual Places to Stay: City Living

Modern Capsule Hotel in Japan

Capsule hotels are aplenty in the most hectic metropolis in the world, but many of these function as bare-necessities sleeping areas when the inevitable sets in. One hotel however, set in the trendiest neighbourhood within Shibuya, seeks to brand itself not just as a place where rest happens but also as a place where life happens.

Newly opened in March of 2018, The Millennials Shibuya features not only the distinctly Japanese concept of maximizing spacial efficiency in the densely populated city of Tokyo, but also features elements to supplement the modern tech-savvy urban professional. While 80% of the hotel is dedicated to sleeping spaces, the rest of the 20% are shared spaces for coworking and connecting with other fellow travellers.

e: japan@destination-asia.com


Hong Kong Capsule Hotel

With more focus on innovation, technology and even sustainability, Capsule hotels are the newest overnight options (especially in cities where space is a premium) and Hong Kong is no exception. Recognizing the realities of Hong Kong’s limitations and building upon the architectural concept originating from Japan in the 1970s, these tiny space saving beds are infusing a good night’s sleep with new purpose, designs and technologies.

e: hongkong@destination-asia.com


Luxury Glamping in Singapore

Glamping City was founded in 2017 to create the glamping experience in Singapore. Glamping City offers mobile luxury camping experience while connecting travelers with nature. Immerse yourself in a truly unique experience, placing visitors in the bush and under the stars. The tents are ideal for those who are unfamiliar with camping or looking for an all-inclusive, hassle-free getaway.

These accommodations provide style and practicality – perfect for everything from a romantic weekend away to a group holiday with family or friends. The glamping experience is available at East Coast Park and Sentosa. The tents are equipped with a double bed, premium linen, fresh towels and large hurricane lanterns.

e: singapore@destination-asia.com


From Cinema to Boutique Hotel in Bangkok

Experience something old and something new at Bangkok’s only X Theatre hotel. Prince Theatre Heritage Stay began life 100 years ago, first as a high rolling casino, headlined by a racy all-male Chinese opera troupe. The Golden years of Prince Theatre were around 1975, when Cinerama, or adding sound to moving pictures changed the movie-going experience. Folks from all around Bangkok came to see the Prince cinema’s line up of Hollywood and Thai movies.

It was all good until shopping malls and new cinema multiplexes showed up in the eighties and quickly put standalone neighborhood cinema’s out of business. The Prince did not totally fade away: tucked down in a small alley away from the main road, Prince’s under the radar location made it the perfect spot for screening classic nude films! Men, boys and even woman popped in to watch a naughty film or two. When DVD and internet became popular, the adult cinema also faded away and the building was left alone.

In 2018, a new chapter began and Prince Theatre was fully renovated! They returned Prince to its former glory and to the local neighborhood. Now the venue provides a boutique hotel experience with a vibe that is hip and laidback. Set in a 1900’s film theatre, the modern-rustic Prince Theatre Heritage Stay is nestled behind a hidden corner on Charoenkrung Road in central Bangkok. Highlights include the cinema room turned into a common bar area serving signature drinks inspired by famous movies. They feature cool collection of contemporary lofts, private suites and shared accommodations with high ceilings, plenty of natural light, minimalist decor and a comfy, artsy style.

e: thailand@destination-asia.com


<< See all features